Posted by Greg Allan.

What To Do When There's No RCDs in Your New Property

What should you do when you have purchased a new property and the socket and lighting circuits are not protected by the RCDS?

  1. Reach out to the previous owner and inform them that they need to fit the RCDs, as it is required by law.

  2. If it doesn’t work, then you can write a formal request. Before you send one to them, keep a copy of it with you. You can mail the homeowner a letter from the Director of Energy Safety in this tone.

  3. If you don’t hear back from the owner within a reasonable time frame, then you should send EnergySafety these three things: a copy of the letter you mailed to the owner, a copy of property title along with the date of transfer, and a pic of the main switchboard that lacks RCD.

  4. You can either email it to or post it to Locked Bag 14, Cloisters Square WA 6850.

  5. A Network Operator will be asked to inspect the property to determine whether an RCD needs to be fitted. If they find that there’s a need for an RCD, then an order would be issued.

  6. Once the order is issued, you will have to fit the RCDs. You might decide to seek reimbursement for it from the owner, but it is a civil matter between the two of you.

  7. Your complaint with EnergySafety will be investigated with due diligence.

For further information, please feel free to reach out to our team of knowledgeable Perth Electricians who would be more than happy to help you with all your electrical installation and repair work.


What To Do When There's No RCDs in Your New Property | Perth Electricians

Posted by Greg Allan.