Tips On How To Save On Your Electricity Bill
The cost to you as an electricity consumer depends on 2 things;
- How much current do your appliances draw?
- How much time do you use your electrical appliances for?
Taking these 2 things into consideration, you must consider how you use each electrical appliance. Although appliances like heaters and kettles draw around the same amount of current, you typically only use your kettle for a couple of minutes a day versus sometime leaving your heater on for 24 hours a day when it is really cold. This is why it is so important to think about how you use your appliances.
Some of the appliances that draw the most electricity:
- Element heaters because they are usually kept on for long periods.
- Hot water systems both storage and instantaneous when you have long showers.
- Pool pumps when you leave them on all of the time.
- Fish tank heaters depending on the size of the water tank - bigger = more time heating.
- Dryers, dish washers and washing machines because the run for long periods of time.
- Halogen down lights because there are SO MANY lights.
- Any other heating appliance that you leave on for long periods of time.
- Any other heating appliance .
When was the last time you had an electrical check on your home to ensure it's safety and that you are not wasting electricity?
What can you do instead of using an electrical appliance?
- Heater - Wear warm clothing and only heat in the coldest times of the day or use a wooden or gas fireplace. Consider exercising every 20 minutes to keep warm.
- Dryer - Dry your clothes on the washing line only use when it is full.
- Dish washer - Dry your dishes with a tea towel or only run when it is full and at lower temperatures.
- Microwave - Use gas cook top
- Electric Oven - Use gas cook top or BBQ
- Electric Blanket - Wear socks in bed
Other ways to save money on your electricity bill
- Install a Cent-o-meter to your main switchboard to monitor your electricity usage and learn what your major electricity bill contributors are.
- Install time clocks to the appliances that use the most electricity.
- Manage your electricity usage with some of the practical tips above.
ELECTRICIAN PERTH - ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS PERTH
RESPONSE FIRE & ELECTRICAL SERVICES
45 St Georges Terrace, Perth
Western Australia, 6000
(08) 9106 9197